The Minkowski Institute Press (MIP) is an academic publisher located in Montréal (Québec, Canada). MIP publishes high quality textbooks, lecture notes, monographs, and edited volumes in all academic fields as well as science and technology books for the general public. As a different kind of academic publisher MIP's main goals are:
MIP's distinct features are:
- As we are all now exposed to exponentially increasing information, MIP follows three basic principles in publishing its books:
- brief informative books (rarely exceeding 200 pages)
- light (softcover) books
- affordable books (not exceeding $20).
- To promote education and particularly science education and the advancement of science and technology in the world by making high quality information and knowledge affordably available to all who need them.
- To publish popular science books at affordable prices with the explicit aim to provide continual science education for the general public in order that scientific culture become an inseparable element of the common culture of every individual.
- To reward authors (including contributors to edited volumes) and editors in the best possible way.
- To provide a source of steady funding of the Minkowski Institute; all profit goes to the Institute.
The publishing policy of MIP is based on the following principles:
- offering books at significantly low prices as a means to promote education by reaching more readers all over the world
- authors receive 20-25% royalties (royalties options are given in the publishing agreement the authors sign)
- rapid publication; once a book is accepted (after a reasonable review period) and the submitted manuscript is in LaTeX, MIP will try to publish the ebook within a month
- as all profit goes to the Minkowski Institute publishing with MIP and buying books from MIP will support the Institute
- The intellectual property rights to published books and articles are held by their authors, not by MIP. Authors are free to use their published work in any way they find appropriate.
- Authors and editors are able to choose the cover of their books (preserving MIP's features) and are involved (if they prefer) in the whole process of designing and producing the books.
- The books are produced in the fastest possible way since they are initially offered as ebooks. When orders for the print version of the books are received print on demand is immediately available.
- Minimum administration is involved in the book production.
Montréal, Québec, Canada